Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Sunday, April 4, 2010
Calling all ladies of Edmonton: Start spring off right with a fabulous day of shopping and pampering!
Spring Fling will take place on Saturday, April 10th from 11 am – 7 pm at Kenilworth Hall (7104-87 Avenue Edmonton, AB). Tickets at the door are only $2.00, and all proceeds will go towards purchasing mom and baby care kits for WIN House. The event will also include some fabulous door prizes from the vendors!Spring Fling is the result of the combined efforts of Joanne and her sister Sarah; two business savvy moms that run their own businesses. They created Spring Fling to give vendors and artisans the opportunity to showcase their products and talents without paying expensive booth fees, all the while providing a unique shopping experience that gives back to women in our community.
After hearing what this event was all about, Obleek immediately teamed up with these two talented women. I have worked with them to design the event's logo, poster, and flyers, as well as writing the press release and setting up our Facebook Fanpage. It's going to be an amazing event! My mom and I will be there with our own table selling Obleek guitar and SLR straps, Kirbys, diaper and wipes clutches, lunch bags, sandwich and snack bags, and some purses too. We'll also have a laptop set up to take custom orders and you can browse our products and fabrics and design your own bag on site. We'll also have many of the Add-Ons available as options for our bags so you can see them in person.
Spring Fling is a unique shopping/craft show event in that the vendors have come up with ways to interact and involve shoppers in a variety of activities and services. Some of these interactive elements include:
- Trying eyebrow threading and new hair techniques
- Whitening your teeth
- Getting a mini-makeover
- Relaxing with a mini facial, massage, or manicure
- Learning from women’s health and beauty experts
- Designing your own handbag or earrings
- Sampling delicious food and drinks
- Hearing local musicians
- Buying beautiful handmade items
- Seeing artisans at work
Vendors at the event include:
| || || |
We have also created a Facebook fan page that can be found at:
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Whoever wins next week will be able to choose their favourite fabric and lining colour and receive one of these great accessories for moms on the go!
To enter, check out the contest details at Mon Petit Amour. Good luck to all the entrants!
As for some more Obleek updates, stay tuned for the beginning of March; we're planning a great sale AND new pre-made stock items as well!
Friday, January 15, 2010
Thursday, January 14, 2010
I've mentioned on here before the confusion regarding Obleek Bags vs. Obleek Design Studio (my graphic design company). The problem was, I usually just referred to our sewing business as Obleek, because Obleek Bags sounded lame and yet we couldn't think of something else to differentiate it. In turn, I also referred to the design business as Obleek, since Obleek Design Studio is great, but quite a mouthful. It was making things very confusing.
One day I was daydreaming about owning an actual physical store filled with all of our products. I wanted my fantasy store to have a cute, funky boutique feel. And that led me to what I would call it... Obleek Bouteek! An actual store may be out of the picture for now, but with our business growing and with our goals of entering into the craft show market this year, the name was a perfect fit. So Obleek Bouteek it is!
Shortly you will be able to visit this site via www.obleekbouteek.com instead of www.obleekbags.com. The latter will still work until the domain expires, but if you have bookmarks you'll want to change them eventually. We're also working on an actual website with our new name instead of just a blog, and this will have a new look as well as an online store separate from Etsy.
In the meantime, we are continuing to sew up a storm with custom orders and making stock items, so please continue to visit www.obleek.etsy.com for all your purchases.
Also, keep an eye on our blog over the next couple of weeks, as I am brewing up a sale for some of our products.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
My mom and I have been working full-time non-stop since October 5th, and let me tell you, we are burned out. We know that there will have to be some changes to Obleek over the next while to make this a sustainable business for us, and so that we can continue to provide the best products and service possible. We were fortunate enough to acquire some help this Holiday season for cutting and packaging, but even that did only a little to help alleviate some of the stress and pressure.
Now we find ourselves 9 days away from Christmas (when did it sneak up like that??) with mile long to-do lists that we would normally start tackling in the beginning of December!
Thank-you to everyone for their patience and understanding during this crazy season, and as always, we will continue to make improvements to Obleek to benefit both our customers and ourselves. Because we're no good to you if we're drooling, babbling basket cases ALL the time. Heh.
A couple of things we're working on for 2010:
- some shipping and product prices will be increasing (boo, I know)
- a couple of new bag designs will be added (yay!)
- we will be trying our hand at local craft sales and markets and possibly a bigger show this spring (yay for locals!)
- a website of our own for easier custom ordering (being a web designer with a programmer hubby has it's perks)
- a slight name change that will differentiate us from my design company a bit better (I can't wait to share this!)
Best wishes from our family to yours this holiday season!
-- Katie & Her Mom
P.S. A message from my mom:
To keep your bags and straps looking like new for longer, try spraying them with Scotch Guard or a similar product so that stains and liquids are repelled. Be sure to follow the product directions, and test a small inconspicuous area first. This is especially helpful to bags made out of light colours that attract stains the most (ie Sofia, Sophistica, etc).
Monday, October 19, 2009
Because we have had so many people requesting this offer, we had to sit down and set some terms for this discount. The following is directly cut and pasted from our Policies Page on Etsy.
Canadian At Par Discount
For our fellow Canadians, we do offer an at par discount so that you are paying for the item in Canadian funds vs. USD (for instance, if an item costs $30 USD you would pay $30 CAD).
Here are the terms of this discount:
1) To qualify for this discount, the order must be purchased from and shipped to a Canadian address.
2) You must specify (in either a convo or in the message to seller box) that you wish to pay in CAD vs. USD PRIOR to paying for your order. We will not automatically apply this discount if you are a Canadian customer; you must let us know that you wish to use it. Please don't assume that we know you are Canadian before placing your order or that you wish to use this discount because you have used it before.
3) To receive at par pricing, go as far through the check out process as clicking on the “Commit to Buy” button, and stop there. Do not proceed to PayPal. Once you have clicked on “Commit to Buy”, we are sent a notification of your order. We will then send you a request for payment via PayPal to the email you gave when signing up on Etsy, usually within a few hours of your purchase. Once payment has been made, your order will go into our queue the next business day.
4) We will not offer the discount by refunding the difference after payment has been made. If you pay and then ask for the discount, we will let you know that the discount must be asked for prior to purchasing. It is a lot more work to calculate the conversion difference and to issue refunds after payment has already been made, and therefore is a process that we would like to eliminate.
5) The at par discount is applied to the remaining balance AFTER a Gift Certificate has been used.
6) The purchase of gift certificates do not qualify for the at par discount; they must be paid for in U.S. funds and will be applied accordingly to the balance before the at par discount is given.
7) The at par discount may not be used with any other discount unless otherwise indicated. Generally we allow at par discounts on sale items and quantity discounts on our lunch items and diaper accessories, but there may be exceptions.
8) This is limited offer and may be discontinued at any time without notice.